Sunday, November 25, 2012

Family visit at Thanksgiving!

Hello Blogworld..  So I'm having a very very lazy Sunday in order to recover from my long (but lovely) week of visitors so I'm going to post a few entries right now. Get ready. 

To start, the family arrived in Dublin on Sunday morning so I took an afternoon bus to greet their jet-lagged selves for dinner!  Keith, Adam, Mom, and Uncle Joe and Aunt Sandy came.. so we had a whole crew!  It was really great to see them. Keith looked old - Stonehill is turning him into an adult, awww.   We met at a little pub and they did their very best to talk in full sentences and tried to  fill me in on how their flights went.. but it was a bit of a struggle since they were so tired haha.  I had gone out the night before so I was tired as well but I think they won the Who's Most Deliriously Tired competition.  For example, Mom was trying to tell Joe and Sandy where I'd traveled to so far... and apparently I've gone to Spance and Frain HAHA!  So we couldn't get enough of that joke and every time someone stuttered or said a word wrong later in the week, we'd blame it on Spance or Frain and say "Well that must just be what they call it there!"  Oh man, I couldn't get enough of it.  It was classs.

Keith got to drink legally and the family got to experience their first extremely drunk Irish man who told us "When you see the big cat, don't get off the elephant."  We're still not sure if we should wait to get off the elephant when we reach Spance, or if we should ride it all the way to Frain where there are no big cats.

We had the same driver all week who took us on all of the tours - his name was Maurice but it was pronounced Morris, but eventually we just called him Mossy or Mo. He took us all over, we saw the Cliffs of Moher, Connemara, went to a cute little pub called McGan's in a little town called Doolin that Mom and Bonnie ate at 25 years ago!! And then to lots of other places.

Thursday we had Thanksgiving Dinner at the hotel that generously offered to make us a 3 course meal with mulled wine included!!  It was so so good.. There were a few options for meals but I  started with corn on the cob, then had turkey and ham with mashed potatoes, and then there were a bunch of options for dessert including Banoffi pie.. my new obsession! YUM I'm not sure how I survived 20 years without it.  It's amazing.  And the mulled wine was so good, it reminded me of a warm liquified version of potpourri or a warm sangria without the fruit. 

It was a really fun week and going out to the pubs with Adam and Keith was great - It was so so nice to hang out with them and have fun with them and see them in a new light/context besides a regular family party at Christmas or something.  Gotta love the bro bros.

Then CJ came on Friday for two nights from Paris! So that was great.. He got to have some real Irish Guinness and shepherd's pie and could relax for the weekend without worrying about getting pickpocketed or robbed.  Saturday we took a very long, winding and bumpy bus ride to go see the Cliffs of Moher and we got SO lucky - it was a perfect day. So sunny!!! We even got to watch the sunset go down over the Cliffs, it was amazing.  Even better? I didn't fall off the Cliffs - which I had a dream about last week!  Even better than that? I witnessed my friend Mary get shocked by an electric fence HAHAHA it was the funniest thing I've ever seen.  No, I'm not a psychopath - she didn't get hurt.  But she had jsut finished helping me climb over a wall (so heroic- probably would have fell off the Cliffs if she didn't pull me over) but one of her boots landed in a mud puddle, so she held onto the fence next to her to dip her foot into the puddle.... and as soon as she touched the water ZAP!! It shocked her. It took both of us a minute to realize what happened and when it did i DIED laughing Oh my God.. I was laughing so hard I couldn't even make any noise.  CJ and Erin were ahead of us on the path and they heard her scream so they were concerned/asking what happened but I couldn't even tell them I was wheezing and cackling so hard hahahahahah.

Anyways that pretty much sums up my week!  How was everyone else's Thanksgiving?

No comments:

Post a Comment